View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 12:02   #143
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Whitebirk Retail Park

Ken, I have made suggestions.
Move the current outside stall holders into the empty talls in the market hall(this would make the market hall feel more occupied.....get rid of some of the empty spaces, they just make it feel like a mausoleum).....demolish the outside market stalls and use this area for the bus station....it won't happen of course, the site at the back of Union street has already been rubber stamped.
A bus station that is central would surely enhance the use of the shops on Broadway and of course the market hall....it would make shopping easier for those who rely on public transport(the elderly,the infirm, those on limited budgets).
Who in their right mind wants to shop on the market/market hall and then lug bags of shopping back down Union street to catch the bus home?

People will use this new bus station to go out of town to places where the shopping experience is more customer centred - where the transport system is nearer to the shops.

This opinion has been aired on here for a long time.......it is just that no-one appears to have taken much notice of what the customer wants or needs.

The hideous 60's building on Broadway could have been demolished and the bus station built there - right in the midst of the shopping centre.
Wouldn't that have made more sense.....passengers would be dropped right where the shops are.
This bus station moves the centre of Accrington away from the centre(I know that sounds Irish, but I'm sure you get my drift) where the shops are.
Union Street to the Market may only be a short walk for you, but if you have heart trouble, breathing trouble or are just getting on in years, it is a marathon.

If you look back at my posts I don't slag off HBC for no reason...and as a rule, I state the reasons for my opinions.
I hate Blackburn as a place to shop, but I think they have got it spot on in siting the bus station in the centre,(away from the railway station) close to the market and with easy access to the shops

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 05-01-2014 at 12:04.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote