Thread: Abuse in care
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 11:10   #8
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Abuse in care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Unfortunately there are people who for one reason or another have nobody to care for them.

I was reading an article last week about government mandarins investigating the possibility of farming out the elderly with dementia to care homes in Thailand. The triple reasoning behind this was that the culture over there is geared towards respect and care for their elders, they wouldn't know where they were anyway (which shows just how little these mandarins understand dementia) and of course wages are low so there would be a significant reduction in cost.
Yes, Guinness, I appreciate that. How sad their lives must be - to have no-one on earth to act as their gatekeepers.
I also keep an eye out for my elderly neighbour. I think of him as I would do of my own dad.

The farming out of the elderly to cultures where the old are venerated sounds sensible, but it isn't anything more than a cost reduction exercise.
These cultures do not resonate with those elderly who would be sent away from everything they know and have loved for all of their lives......The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel springs to mind.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote