Thread: Abuse in care
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 08:15   #11
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Abuse in care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I've been thinking about this comment and I think its flawed.

As kids we poke fun of anyone who is different, kids are nasty. We reach teenage and become self obsessed. We marry, have kids and become focused on providing, at this point unless you work in the care industry or have a close family member who needs care...'you don't care'... because you have not yet experienced why caring and compassion is important.....it's only later, when we have time to reflect, that we think about how our actions might impact on others.

Age and experience teaches the majority of us compassion, but it doesn't teach us how to put that into practice. We may think we are doing right by that grumpy old cow in bedroom 3 but then a teacher/trainer shows us this...

What Do You See Nurse?

and we are taught by it.
I know that poem very well. I had a framed copy on my office wall when I was senior sister of my ward......there is a companion to it from the carers point of view.
I understand much of what you say, but do not agree with it.
I am from a family of seven children and there are four of us who went into the caring profession.
Caring is largely a matter of being able to interpret the needs of another....and then being able to provide for those needs.....it is going the extra mile.

I had the privilege of teaching nurses during my career and I used to ask them to see the patient in the bed as a member of their own family...mother, father, sister......to think what they(the patient) would like doing for them in this context. I told them that they would not always be right, but that they wouldn't be far wrong......and they certainly would commit no harm.

Caring for people is a hard task, but it is full of satisfaction.....and that is why many people do it for the low pay......job satisfaction.
Pay was poor when I took up the profession, but I enjoyed my work.
How many people can say that?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote