View Single Post
Old 17-01-2014, 12:12   #1
Accyexplorer
Senior Member+

Post Ponthalgh, Plowtalgh, Powtehalgh in church kirk

I've a keen interest in the history and documentation of period buildings. Our industrial and historical heritage is fast disappearing under the pressure of regeneration, the need for new housing. I aim to document some these places through text and photographs before they disappear.
This building is steeped in history and has quite a few stories to tell. shame its not being looked after.I think it maybe listed under Lancashire heritage

HISTORY:
Roger Rishton was living here in 1474, he was outlawed during the War of the Roses, Another Roger Rishton carried on a long and deadly feudwith other branches of the family and broke down the image of St Oswald in Church Kirk and the newly placed pews there. Several affrays took place and he was slain by Sir Thomas Talbot during the fight in a neighbouring homestead.The farm may also be referred to as Ponthalgh, Plowtalgh, Powtehalgh, and later Park Farm. This homestead is mainly associated with the Rishton family who occupied the homestead from the 15th to 17th century. The Rishtons finally left Ponthalgh for Preston, as a result of supporting the King during the English Civil War. In 1659 Ponthalgh was sold to the Walmesley's.

ENJOY

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 17-01-2014 at 12:16. Reason: IMAGE TAGS
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web