View Single Post
Old 18-01-2014, 21:26   #8
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Great Harwood: Farmers Market raises £4,000 for charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
First and foremost the Gaskells farmers market is really well worth a visit....

but...

That is one heck of a sneaky post...

A conversation...would that be where Gaskells asked the council for permission to transfer their already fairly successful farmers market from their bodyshop to a more high profile Towngate?

Gaskell?s farmers? market supports local charity

Supporting development...Would that be where the council said 'ok' and chucked in a couple of chalets that they had previously failed to use successfully and would otherwise have ended up on the next bonfire or left to rot next to the infamous benches?

Soundbites like 'galvanising communities', 'regenerating economies', and 'reinforced pride' are just that..politspeak..this is acumen by a local businessman getting some advertising, helping his community and local charity.

Its successful because of the work and effort of Gaskells pulling it all together with minimal input from politicians/councillors.

It speaks volumes that you and Councillor Pritchard waffle on about how much HBC, and in particular the labour party has contributed, yet the spokeswoman of the true main contributor, Louise Gaskell, just says 'come along and enjoy'.

Why couldn't you just afford the credit where it's due instead of claiming this as a labour victory?
No that's not right at all. I'll tell you exactly what happened.

I spoke several times about GH Friday market with Miles P and what we could do to revive a GH market long before any Sunday market.

We met on Towngate with the clear plan for a Sunday market. We had no chalets at that stage. That was part of the early vision. Sundays, Towngate, chalets.

Miles and I stood on the Towngate and agreed we would set up a farmers market and agreed the chalets would help. Rob Gregorovic (council officer) turned up as he had been asked. He blurted out to our surprise that he thought Gaskells had either had just set up a Sunday market at their place as there was a road sign advertising it.

Miles and I discussed the possibility of Gaskells moving to Towngate (rather thwn the council doing it) in partnership. We wanted to engage with Gaskells and any other community group.

Miles P set the wheels in motion. Sorted the chalets purposefully built for GH. 1 at first. Then 2 more. Then 2 more. He asked Gaskells (maybe thru RG) if they would do a Sunday market on Towngate. They agreed. It has been a great partnership. The council promote the market with Gaskells and provide help. Gaskells also play a full part making it work. Especially Louise. It's been very productive.

In the beginning there were a few stalls. Within a few months there were plenty.

I am delighted Gaskells are involved. They have been a huge part of the success. However the initial plans of Miles and I were totally separate to Gaskells. Both came together.

Gaskells have been fantastic partners but a Sunday market on Towngate with chalets was initially 100% Labour - and we should take 100% credit for that - and Louise is fully aware it's important people know what their representatives are doing for them. Im proud of that fact and don't mind telling people how hard Labour is working for Hyndburn.

The first Sunday market at Gaskells was 100% Gaskells.

Clare Pritchard did a lot of the organising from the Council perspective to make it happen. The pricing was agreed.

Then we had a little dirty politics. 'Political rivals' telling stall holders the £30'rent for the chalets wasnt going to charity. It never was as it was the fake up and down and storage costs. Gaskells weren't happy and neither were we.

That was ironed out.

Miles ordered 5 more chalets. I have not spoken to him about their use. They did appear in Accrington but that didnt work out as well as Harwood has.

They are there for all community groups to hire across the Borough for the many events that ocurr if requested.

As I said they were bought one at a time as a trial in GH. Common sense!

I hope this puts you fully in the picture and you can rest easy in the safe knowledge that your In The Know hasn't told you quite the truth.

I was at the heart of it so I am familiar with what did and didn't happen. Shame I had to come in correct you. Would have been better if your have been right first time of alternatively said nothing you could t back up.

Last edited by g jones; 18-01-2014 at 21:32.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote