View Single Post
Old 21-01-2014, 07:40   #56
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Minimum wage rise - good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hartley View Post
As you may have read elsewhere, I pay via a third party so am somewhat insulated from the matters you raise. I can only agree that the differences between part-time and full-time employment are as you describe them.
So in effect you pay an agent £10 an hour to source a suitable cleaner on your behalf.

Who is responsible for cleaning materials, overalls, gloves, etc.. Does this come out of the £10 or do you come home to notes like 'no domestos left' and 'mop head broke'? Do you provide step ladders so that she can reach the curtain rail or the top shelf in the cupboard without stretching? Is the electrical equipment she uses PAT tested? Is there a suitable fire escape plan in place? Do you have a lone worker risk assessment in place?

I'm not really looking for answers, just trying to show that the minimum wage cost to a small employer is already around the £9 an hour mark when you take overheads and legal compliance into account. That £9 rises significantly if you take training into account especially if this training needs to be refreshed annually.

This is why the only way to increase the minimum take home wage is via the tax threshold, unless you want more unemployment, fewer businesses or the rise of unscrupulous agencies.