Thread: That's HOT
View Single Post
Old 27-01-2014, 20:37   #48
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: That's HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
It's surprising how we all manage to get through the extremes. Bit tough here today though for the kids going back to school after the long summer break, especially the little ones just starting school and pre-school for the first time.
I would say that most schools here are air-conditioned now, it's just the journey getting there and especially getting back home again in the heat of the day that will be the challenge.
Things have changed a lot over the years. When my oldest son was in Junior School (a lot of years ago now) the classroom didn't have a/c - not even a fan - and when it was hot his teacher would tell the students to take off their shoes and socks, she would throw water on the wooden floor and tell them to walk about on it - and that was the way they cooled off!!!!
Children are very resilient - they'll cope, it's the adults who do the most complaining.
My husband and I spent a number of years wintering(our winter - not yours) in Oz. We would put plastic juice bottles in the freezer to take to bed with us to stay cool enough to sleep...and put damp socks in the fridge and put them on before going to bed...they were dry by morning.
The house we stayed in had no aircon back then(80's).

Yes Dotti, those volunteer firefighters do a brilliant job.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote