Thread: That's HOT
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 16:27   #93
Eric
God Member

Re: That's HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I thought the Brits were weather obsessed but you colonials are even worse!

But when some of you are talking -43 and some are talking +46 it's not surprising.

Turtle, Eric, what sort of heating systems and insulation do you have to cope with -43? I doubt if any system in the UK could deal with anywhere near that. And as it goes on so long aren't the heating bills crippling?
How do you stop your cars freezing up solid?

Dottie, the same but opposite- do you have air conditioning on all the time or do you eventually learn to live with it? What about the shopping centres etc.- are they all air conditioned?

We moan if it freezes at all and 2 inches of snow- the UK grinds to a halt. And 25 degrees in Summer- definitely a heat wave( but lots of cold beer needed so not all bad).
Hydro bills can be a little high, but homes are ususally well insulated ... Cars? No problem. Antifreeze good to -40, a decent battery, survival kit in the trunk if you are taking a long trip. I put a trickle charger on mine on the brutal cold nites. Out west, where it can get real cold for a long time, most cars have block heaters.

Block heater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And when the bitter cold comes ... it's not bad at -20 ... and you have to go out, bundle up. And when you are out driving, take care ... and keep your fingers crossed.

Near crash of 2 tractor-trailers, snowplow captured on video - Thunder Bay - CBC News
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote