Thread: That's HOT
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 17:40   #95
Turtle

Re: That's HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I thought the Brits were weather obsessed but you colonials are even worse!

But when some of you are talking -43 and some are talking +46 it's not surprising.

Turtle, Eric, what sort of heating systems and insulation do you have to cope with -43? I doubt if any system in the UK could deal with anywhere near that. And as it goes on so long aren't the heating bills crippling?
How do you stop your cars freezing up solid?

Dottie, the same but opposite- do you have air conditioning on all the time or do you eventually learn to live with it? What about the shopping centres etc.- are they all air conditioned?

We moan if it freezes at all and 2 inches of snow- the UK grinds to a halt. And 25 degrees in Summer- definitely a heat wave( but lots of cold beer needed so not all bad).
Hi Gordon, most newer houses have forced air, natural gas-burning furnaces. Newer homes have good insulation, and well sealed windows. Some folks chose to supplement this with a fireplace of some sort. Our basement was nasty and cold in winter before we got a gas fireplace down there! When the ice storm hit in December, that gas fireplace kept our whole house tolerably warm, as the furnace was not working (no electric power).
We also need central air conditioning for our hot summers. Yes, we Canucks are definitely weather obsessed. But that's because of the extremes we endure, I believe.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote