View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 16:43   #27
Eric
God Member

Re: What memories would you liked to of shared??

I'm not opposed to change per se, facing it stubbornly and stupidly like some modern day Canute ... nor do I favour regression, a retreat to a Golden Age that never existed. Steam locos were impressive, but, alas, at 25% efficiency, they just had to go.

But I do think that change should be scrutinized in detail, not accepted as a bundle ... you know, like the ones that tv providers offer. What I do object to is that "change" has somehow become synonymous with "progress" ... building more lethal weaponry is not even remotely similar to advances in medicine. And then there are the false claims ... ok, let's be honest and call them "lies" ... spouted by the developers and purveyors of technology, and other assorted big businesses. A faster smart phone ain't gonna make you happier ... a car that will park itself doesn't improve your life ... supermarkets are selling "stuff" not, as they claim, "a satisfying shopping experience" ... whatever that is ... if you belive the ads, it's something like an orgasm.

What I object to ... I'm on a real rant, eh ... is that so much "chage/progress" is driven by corporate greed. Microsoft, Samsung, Sony et al, are in the business of making money, not improving lives ... anti-social networking and the devices that facilitate it are, in no sense ,a "boon to mankind"; it's just another way of getting at your cash. And they accept no responsiblity for the downsides of "progress", high and deadly rates of obesity is just one of the dangerous negatives. Technology and the science behind it are receiving all the attention. What is being neglected is us ... our humanity. You can't fix social, moral, and, yes, spiritual problems by building a whole bunch of better mouse traps. If you've got a problem with mice, get yourself a cat for chrissakes.

Last edited by Eric; 04-02-2014 at 16:47.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote