View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 19:14   #31
dotti34

Re: What memories would you liked to of shared??

You're right, Eric - the more you think about the past the more you remember.

On Saturday nights, before TV came into our lives, the BBC broadcast excellent plays. My mother and I used to listen to these - but without fail just before the end my dad would come home from his Saturday night at the local, always very cheerful (wonder why!). He would have a bottle of O.B.J. in one hand which was for my mum, and a parcel of fish and chips in the other for us to share. Often he would insist on singing - one song he liked to sing was 'I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me' and couldn't understand why we kept asking him to shush as we wanted to hear how the play finished.

I was very excited when my mother bought a second-hand gramaphone - a piece of furniture probably similar to your gran's, Eric, and said it was for me. It was a wind-up one (one full wind-up just about lasted one record) and I played my cherished Johnny Ray record over and over again ('Cry' and 'The Little White Cloud that Cried'). The gram had come with a number of records - some of the very funny ones about Albert and the like. I was the only one of my friends with such a device and thought I was the bee's knees.

Don't know what it cost but I'm sure my mother would have had to do without something herself to get it.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web