Thread: World War 1
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 01:32   #297
dotti34

Re: World War 1

Retlaw, I wonder if you can sort something out for me. It’s regarding Samuel Mallalieu, service number 58047. Samuel was in the 55th Battalion Machine Gun Corps (Inf) formerly 1898 N. Lancs. Regiment. He was the son of Alfred and Ann Mallalieu and lived at 38 St. James Street, Accrington. He was killed in action 9th April 1918.

The above information I got from the Accrington Roll of Honour 1914 – 1919, via the Internet, and if I am on the right person Samuel was my husband’s great-uncle.

However, according to information supplied by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission on their site this Samuel WAS the son of an Alfred and Ann Mallalieu but of 6, Melrose Avenue, Layton, Blackpool.

Both the above sites have him as being remembered with honour at Loos Memorial.
I also have him as being born in 1892 – christened 1893, but both the ARH and the CWG have him as being 24 when he died in 1918. No mention of a wife only his parents, so not sure of his marital status.

Couple of queries, one being was Sam No. 58047 from Accrington or from Blackpool? If the latter then he might be a different man altogether, and also a query re the discrepancy with his age.

Thanking you in advance for any help re this, though not sure if he was a Pal or not - I just want to make sure my records are correct.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote