View Single Post
Old 16-02-2014, 09:32   #83
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Smoking ban......(Hmmmm)

No.. Yes....No...and No.
If the NHS were to ration or charge for illnesses that could have been caused by lifestyle choices then more than just smokers would be paying for treatment.
Those who are daibetic could be seen to have contributed to their illness by adopting junk food diets....drinkers would be charged if they fell down and broke a limb while under the influence...and imagine the bills for those who develop mental illness from smoking weed. Girls who went out and got a bun in the oven after a one night stand would be charged for their maternity care(or sexually transmitted disease). I am sure there are more things that could be added to my not so extensive list.

The administration of such costs would be a nightmare. For goodness sake get real. The NHS cannot even get its act together to charge those who use the NHS and are from overseas(this should be easy to administrate) so what chance do they have of charging for such things?

Children of smokers may not be subject to second hand smoke in cars if anyone takes notice of this legislation...but they will still be subject to second hand smoke in their homes...and over a much longer period of time.
If smoking is such a serious helath issue for the government(personally, I don't think they really care, but they just have to LOOK like they do) then they would ban it on health grounds, close down the factories that make cigarettes and issue all smokers with nicotine replacement therapy of their own choice.
But we all know that the revenue from smokers is so large, that they couldn't possibly do that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote