View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 18:59   #116
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Animals killed for training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I can assure you I have both family and close friends in the army.
Then surely you'd want them to get the best treatment possible if they become a battlefield casualty & if the Military say this is how they can get the most realistic practical experience, surely you should, if not support it, at least accept it.

Quote:
Why is it only military medics are trained in this 'controversial' way,why not teach all our docs if it helps save life's?
Because the incidence of gunshot wounds & blast injuries within the civil medical profession is very limited.

Quote:
Can these medics not do their "tests" on say test tube meat or something though it's 2014 not 1950s.
Surely with all our medical technology there are alternatives to live pigs.
You answer your own complaint, meat is just that, meat. The response & actions of a piece of meat is incomparable to a living functioning body. To understand how a body reacts to various traumas & wounds (from combat injuries) a living organism has to be used & as a pig has the misfortune to be anatomically so near to a human this makes the pig the ideal test subject.

A reliance on synthetic training methods are simply not ample for the modern day battlefield & the injuries that are likely to be sustained. And just a little tag line for you to consider, of all the NATO forces that use this training you'll find it's the Countries that have the most "Boots on the ground" & as such the more risk of battlefield casualties, that see this training as imperative to the well being of their Troops.