Thread: Why we give?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 00:22   #2
dotti34

Re: Why we give?

I agree with you, Guinness, that it is a travesty only a very small amount of money actually makes its way to the charity it was originally destined for after all the expenses (of which there should be very little or none!) are taken out. I do not give to such organisations. However, I do take umbrage at your somewhat derogatory description of volunteers.

I personally do not fit into any of the categories you mention – and nor do any of my friends and acquaintances, however we have all spent many hours volunteering in various capacities. I normally would not mention this, I am not looking for a pat on the back for doing something that gives me great enjoyment, but I felt I had to respond to your posting.

Why do we volunteer? Maybe (and without meaning to offend you, perhaps this is something you won’t understand) we enjoy giving and though we can’t give much in the monetary sense we can give some of our time to help others.

Volunteers are the life-blood of many organisations. No person needs to be bored as there is always some place that needs you, someone who will benefit from your help. Perhaps some volunteers do fit into your description but the ones I know get enjoyment out of helping others, and knowing you are appreciated and that your input is important is reward enough.

Maybe you should try it one day.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote