View Single Post
Old 16-03-2014, 10:32   #30
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: R.i.p. Tony benn

Yes, Tony Benn was born into a privileged family......and as Phil Whalley has so rightly pointed out we can not choose the family we are born into.
I looked at the link that Jen provided(thanks Jen) and on the BBC site(which I know is pro-Labour - before anyone points this out to me) there was another clip of Tony Benn speaking.
he says

'The real division in society is between the people who create the wealth by working, and those who own the wealth.
Those who own the wealth have too much power and use it to control those who create the wealth'

As I have said, I didn't agree with some of the ideas that were put forward by Tony Benn, but I think that in spite of him being privileged by birth he could see the divisions and tried his best to redress the balance.

I believed that he was something quite rare - an honest politician who said what he felt, what he believed in, regardless of what the party told him to say.

He was eloquent and educated...but I felt that he would listen to the common man and take on board his concerns.
I respect him for this and wish that there were more like him in politics today
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote