Thread: Why we give?
View Single Post
Old 16-03-2014, 12:31   #38
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Why we give?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Oh Cointreau mong Cherry! Money per se may not, but the things that can be achieved if you've more than enough to chuck about most certainly would! I don't necessarily mean on personal gratification, although some little longed for dainties wouldn't go amiss, just think how many donations you could give to your favourite charities/causes, help to friends & family in difficulties, or random acts of giving & kindness to total strangers who appear to be down on their luck purely for the altruistic pleasure of it. Sounds like that'd make me happy if I had that ability all because I had quite a few bob spare.
You may have a point there son...but it is far more deliberate to give when you have little to give.
If you have much and donate some of it to good causes, or helping family and friends than of course you are spreading around a little happiness...but you are never going to miss what you have given because you have plenty more where that came from.

But when you have very little, but give of yourself, or your time, then surely that is more worthy.
Do we not place too much reliance on material things?
Do these material things really make us happy? Ok maybe we get a buz from being able to go out and indulge in something for ourselves....but does that buzz fade pretty quickly as we move on to our next 'want'...so much so that we no longer see it as a 'want' but as a 'need'.

Just thinking out loud.....I am sure I was happier as a child than the children of today seem to be....but then that is relative because we can never really have a definitive answer.
I certainly never heard of any child saying that they were 'depressed'...bored maybe, but depressed never.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote