View Single Post
Old 16-03-2014, 13:30   #41
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Why we give?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
but it is far more deliberate to give when you have little to give.

Indubitably & by far more noble.

But when you have very little, but give of yourself, or your time, then surely that is more worthy.

Perhaps, but worth can also be seen in giving monetarily can it not?
I can see the point you make Ma & yes it may appear that giving when you have little is a greater commitment than having plenty & giving unstintingly, but I would challenge that conception as some may not be able to physically assist but would like to help & specie is their way of achieving this.

As we live abroad it is difficult for me to physically assist in things I personally deem as good causes within the UK, so I "Do my bit" for my favoured charities/causes by donation/ sponsorship & the likes. We're not exactly rich, we muddle along like most folk & we pay our bills, our finances don't really allow for frivolities & wants, but there's always a couple of quid for something worthwhile, be that Guide dogs, RNLI, Help for heroes, Poppy appeal, McMillan & cancer research to name a few.

In fact when we're over & wandering round browsing in the emporia & centres of commerce if someone waves a tin at me I'll usually chuck in a couple of quid regardless. We'll visit a Lifeboat station, make a donation, then spend £20-25, on odds & ends in their shop (we've got a fridge full of magnets & pens for a lifetime!) but as far as we're concerned it's money well spent.