Thread: Burn baby
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2014, 09:24   #22
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Burn baby

It is a long long time since such material was incinerated at hospitals.
Many hospitals choose Clinical disposal units/ companies to deal with what is termed 'clinical waste'.

In our area, that would have been White Rose at Bolton. But for many years now, and as a result of much campaigning by myself and others on the steering committee, it has been the policy to deal with foetal remains and babies in a sensitive manner.

And you are right. Where parents wanted to do this for themselves, they were allowed to do so and given information to help them to do this. In Blackburn the Co-op Funeral Services were a mainstay for grieving parents.
Babies were cremated at no cost to the parents. If the parents wanted a burial then obviously that could not be done at no cost, but the Co-op made no profit on these funerals.

I am not sure if the Co-op still run this service as I have been retired now for 12 years.
I feel it would be very difficult(for the local hospital) to back pedal on the other sensitive arrangements for the disposal of babies remains.
I know the book of remembrance still exists. It is in the Spiritual Centre near C10 at RBH.

I spent many many hours doing the entries into this book and also provided parents with a copy of the entry, because I know there are times when the grief is so raw that you find it impossible to go and visit the book to look at the entry.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 25-03-2014 at 09:27.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote