View Single Post
Old 25-03-2014, 09:26   #64
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: How to increase attendances?

Some good ideas on here. I suspect it will be the small improvements and innovations that are most viable.

On the question of attendances, it may be interesting to put things into perspective. As Lancsdave has stated often, it's down to demographics.

As a % of the Borough population, Stanley's average attendance is just under 2%.

This the same as Northampton's, a much bigger city and wealthier part of the country.

Dagenham's, who I regard as Stanley's southern twin, ratio is just under 1%.

Clubs like Torquay, Cheltenham, Wycombe, and Plymouth have a ratio of between 2.5 and 3%.

Only Pompey stand out in League 2, with attendances that are over 6% of its population.

Add to that a few facts, such as none of those clubs having 'rivals' within 5 miles and Hyndburn's population is static if not declining.

Obviously, good form will add to the crowd, but probably not by many.

My view is that supporting Stanley is an exclusive activity, and one for those who appreciate loyalty over reflected glory, tribe over franchise, and football over soccertainment. Anyone can sit at home and 'support' one bunch of Premier League foreigners or another.
But, after 40+ years out of the League, if only 'The Few' have the privilege of supporting Stanley, then so be it. Let's enjoy it for as long as it, or we, last.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote