View Single Post
Old 25-03-2014, 17:05   #70
maccawozzagod
God Member

Re: How to increase attendances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Macca and all; clubhouse is used everyweek day and most nights as well
We are having to move/cancel usage to accomodate reviews, business league meetings etc.
Available for hire at weekends.
I suspect that Business League Meetings are more about raising the profile of the club (by being held there) than making any money.

Conferences, board meetings etc I suspect may raise a hire fee of sorts but unless you are adding in catering fee's they won't bring in a substantial revenue primarily because the room is far too large for most functions and there is only one of it.

When I say it is massively underused I am getting at the fact that, as probably the largest turnover company providing function facilities in the borough, it should be the brightest, best, and first thought of venue to hold a function for 200 people. Brooks Club, Enfield or Accy Cricket club, Pop club and any number of other venues are booked fairly solid all year round - and on the nights they aren't they put their own show on.

As far as I know we don't have anyone who has their finger firmly on the pulse to run the club (house) as a club. A venue of that size should quite comfortably be looking to turnover £10k every single weekend PLUS matchday revenue. I don't believe the building needs major change to facilitate that (although the bar could be bigger) but it does need a designated staffie to do it, not a barman or barmaid, but a proper Manager who is paid a wage and profit share.

"hello is that ......, its Accrington Stanley here, you held your 18th with us almost three years ago and I was wondering if you would like to book us for your 21st?"

Accrington has few places that look for high ticket functions, we could fill that gap. Unfortunately the civic theatre has just become a Jason Manford venue so that ship has sailed, but maybe it could also provoke a rekindling of the love of a good comedy night? Sunday night comedy show at the 1968 bar? (no jokes about Saturday afternoon comedy shows please)

There is no designated darts venue in the vicinity, yet it could quite easily become a darts tournament venue with clever thinking. A pop-up stage, an overhead projector capable of broadcasting close-ups to multiple screens around the room. Dartists are considerably cheaper to hire than a comedian yet are still capable of packing the room out with 160 seated pishpots.

It's all been said before and will all be said again until someone at the club realises that investment has to be found and injected into infrastructure rather than players. Alas, it will always go on players in the hope that we can keep our league status.