View Single Post
Old 20-04-2014, 22:41   #16
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Religious Imposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
I went to the supermarket today (which I sometimes do on Sunday afternoon) but it was closed due to trading laws imposed through (Christian) religious tradition. No big deal I suppose (and I picked up the few things I wanted from our local Spar shop)

I was brought up essentially without religion and I have seen no need to seek it out in adulthood. As we are now a multi-cultural, multi-religion (and none) society is it right that we should all be bound by such sectarian laws or should business and commerce be separated from religious beliefs? And are Spar employees/customers in some way less obligated (morally) to be bound by Christian tradition than those of larger shops? The logic behind this is very puzzling!
That's the problem with the English...they are so quick to forget their traditions...is it any wonder that ever so slowly they are being replaced by alternative cultural values.

Can't ever recall in my youth being dragged around a supermarket on Easter Sunday....train to Blackpool or a Frasers coach trip, yeah..but a day out looking at two for ones or Bogofs...nah!

I was brought up WITH religion..fish on fridays..yada..yada, and dumped it into the logic bin as soon as I could.

Thing is..a 'traditional' public holiday is a holiday that should be enjoyed by the public...even those public that work in Tesco!