View Single Post
Old 22-04-2014, 15:04   #73
Eric
God Member

Re: Religious Imposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

mind you your less likely to get a bomb through your letter box if you poke fun at a christian but as it is they are all garbage its just some ar emore vile than others and christianity is the least of the problem
Some parts of the States maybe But even there, they seem to have put the KKK behind them ... and, correct me if I'm wrong, they no longer burn witches. Sure, there are the fundamentalist Christian Arayan Nations, but they are fringe. Armed to the teeth, but not really mainstream. When folks mention dangerous, religious extremists, we all know about whom they are talking ... the ones without a sense of humor, unless you get your yuks at public mutilations and beheadings. You know, the ones who can't take a joke or laugh at themselves. Not too many Christians commandeering planes and flying them into those neat new skyscrapers in Abu Whatsitsname ... not too many jews detonating themselves on buses full of muslims.

But, let's face it, holidays in the UK are built on the Christian tradition ... and I bet that there aren't too many non-practicers who would give up Xmas. Other holidays come out of the changing attitudes towards hours of work: the idea that paid, regular time off is more of a right than a concession. So there really ain't much you can do about Xmas and Easter, or Sundays, without erasing history and heritage and starting all over again. Napoleon tried to change things like the names of the months and seasons; but it never caught on.

Maybe you could have different holidays. Groundhog Day would be a good start. Thanksgiving. The Fourth of July. We'll even let you use Canada Day. Oh, and while you're at this changing thing, learn how to drive on the right side of the road like most of the rest of the world.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote