Thread: Hitting a women
View Single Post
Old 27-04-2014, 17:36   #53
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Hitting a women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I was brought up on a diet of Tom & Jerry, The Young Ones etc. My firsthand experience is that seeing fake violence does not turn a child into a violent adult. You can make statistics say anything you want - Less is right, there are far more factors than just playing 18-rated games or watching video nasties, it's just as conceivable that the same factors that turn a kid into an unhinged adult are the same factors that allow him to play those games or watch those videos.

I actually think that computer games should be part of a child's upbringing. The disruption caused by this kid shows he's mentally unhinged and if it were possible to identify him, he'd be a prime candidate for some sort of therapy before he murders a class full of kids in a few years.

I just told my teenage son what you said about denying access to games and films because of the risk it might turn him into a violent person. His response was that I should take him to school tomorrow because of the risk of crossing four roads turning him into a red stain on the front of someone's car...
I also watched cartoons as a child....but this was much before the time of The Young Ones.
I also have a healthy scepticism of statistics.
There has been lots of research on the effects of violent video games and there is evidence of changes within the brain of children after relatively short periods of time.

If as a responsible parent, you choose to let your teenage son play these kind of games, then of course that is your prerogative.

Maybe some computer games are suitable for children, and there are some which will help with problem solving and hand-eye co-ordination.....but the games should be age appropriate and they should be monitored by parents for their suitability. I was not saying that children should not play computer games....just that violent games...those blood and guts ones, the ones which glorify rape and gang violence are not appropriate.
Life is full of hazards. We all do the best we can to minimise the risks to our children.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 27-04-2014 at 17:41.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote