View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 12:53   #76
mobertol
God Member

Re: Bigoted or free speech

I get very weary about this kind of thing o.O What is central to the whole debate for me is the hatred which people develop for one reason or another towards others, that is the essence of racism or any kind of "other-ism" which is used to divide and categorise us all into some kind of group of belonging.
The words are not to blame, they have their own history which is often lost over time. They usually start out as being non-offensive then gain a new connotation when used and infused with hate. They become considered collectively to be "bad words", however they are used, and that is NOT correct.
I don't think Mr. Clarkson was expressing hatred when he started to pronounce the "offending" word, he realised that what he was saying might be taken badly as the word has been so demonised and tried to mumble his way out of a "Faux Pas" thus making things look far worse than they actually were!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web