View Single Post
Old 28-01-2005, 00:45   #1
Henry Morton
I am Banned

The New "Stanley 50 / 50 Draw"

Last Tuesday's fixture against York City in the Conference Cup had more than one satisfactory outcome.

The score was, of course, in Stanley's favour - but the other highly significant result on the night was the success of the 50/50 Draw.

For those readers who are unfamiliar with the situation, we've run a Half-Time Draw for many years. It's brought in a small but regular income for ASFC and has succeeded because of the generosity of its sponsors, the hard work of its ticket sellers, and the dogged willingness of the fans to spend a pound or two in the most unselfish of causes.

However, there has been an increasing demand from spectators to make the "Major Prize" more attractive. This feedback has been taken on board by the ticket sellers and has been conveyed to the Club's Chairman over the last few months.

As a result I'm delighted that Eric Whalley and Lottery Manager Mick Schultz have introduced the 50/50 Draw in which 50% of the proceeds from ticket sales goes to the Club and the other 50% goes to the Lucky Winner !

You may have noticed that the attendance at the IES on Tuesday was 392, but you probably weren't aware that the sale of 50/50 tickets was £121.
This is an amazing figure which means that more than 30% of spectators bought a ticket ! Of course, some people bought more than one ticket. Nevertheless, this percentage take-up is awesome and can only augur well for this exciting new development. Imagine how much you could win with a 3,000 attendance (on second thoughts, you don't need to imagine it ; one of our fans brought an £800 prize back from Morecambe's 50/50 a couple of seasons ago !)

On behalf of Mick, Kate, Sam, Shirley and myself I'd like to thank our past sponsors including Master Butchers Ted Feathers, Benny at the Crown Inn, the Balti Stan Restaurant, the Accrington Stanley European Vineyards(!), and everyone else who has contributed to the Half-Time Draw.

So it's a warm welcome to our new sponsor for the 50/50 Draw , Vic Allonby - Dairyman - Ltd. Most Accringtonians know the enormous contribution which Vic and his family have made to the Club in recent years - and not just financially, but in their participation and enthusiasm too.

So please support the new Draw, support our sponsor, and I look forward to greeting our first £1,000 Winner very soon !
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web