Neil
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Well done Hyndburn Parks dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While you are undoubtedly right Neil......I really think that many of the parks are under used.
People(and I know this is a generalisation) often fail to value the green spaces which are dotted about the borough.
I think the parks could be used more but I think they are busy but very weather dependant. The improvements to play facilities over the last 10 or more years has helped a lot. It's nice seeing young families in the park during the day and then the school kids after school.

Quote:
The up keep of these parks is an enormous task.....and I know that you know this.
There have been cutbacks in many vital services.....and I would hazard a guess that the upkeep of parks in the area is of a low priority.
The budget cuts in parks started many years ago and it takes years to notice the paths crumbling party due to age and partly due to drainage not being kept clear because there is no one to do the work. Then when the paths become unsafe - try walking around Milnshaw or parts of Oakhill and Memorial parks - the cost is massive and the parks emergency paths repair budget so small you would laugh if I told you how much it is.

Quote:
How can this situation be overcome?
Would it be feasible for the parks to have sponsors......businesses that would be willing to invest capital in improving the paths....or other facilities within the park?
A lot of work is carried out using money from external funders but many of those bids require non council applications from community groups. The parks dept are amazing in the support they give to community groups because they fully understand the returns they get is massive compared to the cost of officer time assisting groups. Beside that the work is being done in HBC parks so they have to make sure the work is appropriate, maintainable and to the correct standard.
It's other departments, some officers and councillors who don't understand how the systems work that can often cause problems. I was recently asked by a none parks council officer to insist that a funder told us the terms and conditions of the bid we were applying for. Those that know about these things understand that terms and conditions can often be different for each project and can be set by a grants panel to ensure the work is done a certain way. We had to withdraw that £40,000 bid because other council departments couldn't meet the application deadline - they only had about 4 months to sort it

Quote:
Could some of the work that is needed be done by those on community payback?
Not sure on the current situation with community payback. I think the LCC appointed officer was withdrawn and they had to be managed locally which was causing some problems. I think they have done some work locally but will have to find out about it.

Quote:
I really don't know what answers to these questions are.....but what ever the failings of the current system, the volunteers who work tirelessly (with limited funding) powered by goodwill and the desire to improve the local environment should be congratulated for their work in keeping the green spaces as good as they can make them.

I give them my thanks for what they do...and add my admiration for their efforts.
Well done.
I second your comments and it would be nice to see more people getting involved, especially younger ones to take over and carry on the good work being done.

Sorry for the long post and any ranting I may have done