View Single Post
Old 17-09-2014, 07:38   #86
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Manchester Dogs Home Fire

Yes, it probably was.
On talking to a few friends who are dog owners.....many of them do not use sticks to throw for their dogs....having been advised by vets that sticks can pose some health issues.....they have specific 'fetch' items for their pets.
Some who do carry a stick, tell me that it is the retrieve balls dropped in nettles.....or such inaccessible places....They had not thought any passer by would be intimidated by the carrying of such an item....innocent uses.
I guess the fact that the dogs they walk range from whippets to spaniels and JRT's might also have a bearing.
That said,all dogs have the potential(without the appropriate training and care) to return to the mentality of a pack animal....and that must always be borne in mind....the vast majority of pet dogs are loving and loyal.

Oh, and I reckon I am pretty observant.....especially when out on my own on the canal bank. You have to be aware of risks to your own personal safety. Something which would pose a threat to my safety.....a big dog with an owner with a big stick would definitely attract my attention.
I think my past life has made me 'risk assess' almost everything I do.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 17-09-2014 at 07:42.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote