View Single Post
Old 18-09-2014, 08:14   #100
Studio25

Re: It's not so smart to have a 'smart meter'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
...it has been said that I do occasionally glow in the dark - usually after 4 or 5 doses of GlenMorange
My favourite

As regards hacking a wireless signal to assess occupancy, it would never work in my house. The only time consumption is low is when I'm home alone, and I've turned off the lights, TVs and computer gear off that the kids left on when they exited the house.

As regards the health hazards of wireless links, once you accept that wireless data comms are there for convenience, all arguments (for and against) get diluted. We do a lot of stuff that generates unnecessary risk to our health, but we put up with it for convenience. We drive* instead of walking. We microwave processed food instead of cooking it fresh. We use insecticide instead of cultivating bug predators. Almost everything we do has a risk factor involved, and we consciously or subconsciously calculate the "return" on that risk.

I'd suggest to the people that are getting upset about the health effects of the miniscule radiation from smart meters should probably consider the health benefits to vulnerable people who no longer have to allow meter readers access to their home, specifically the fake ones with ulterior motives.

* You can't win with this one: I sometimes walk instead of driving, as it's inconvenient to get the car out, and just walking to Tesco generates risk.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote