Neil
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: She asked for it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
There's a limitation of two weeks on the police sending out a "notice of intention to prosecute". Assuming you haven't done anything to scupper the receipt of the notice (such as moving house without telling them), it is considered to be an acceptable defence to say "I do not recall who was driving". The police send the NIP to the registered keeper - who isn't necessarily the vehicle owner or driver.

It's all a crock, really. While it's possible for anyone to drive a car (with the keeper's permission, if their own insurance covers them) I can guarantee that in the vast majority of cases, the keeper can remember who has driven it, out of the named people on the insurance and the people that have been given permission, for way longer than two weeks.

It's just that the law has to be seen to be fair to everyone, so people like me, who can recall exactly who else has used my car in the last six months have to be treated the same as a fleet manager, who will even have to make notes despite the limitation being just two weeks.
That only needs a change in the law though. As a car owner you should be responsible for knowing who is driving it. If you manage a fleet of 100 cars you should have to keep a log of who is driving that day.