View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 19:14   #16
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: UKIP win a seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I am a firm believer in everyone voting. As far as I'm concerned anyone who does not vote should have no opinion at all on what ever the government or local council does. I am told that in Australia it is an offence not to vote and folk are fined for not doing so.
Yes, it is an offence not to vote in Oz.
I do not agree with your view that if you do not vote,then you have no right to an opinion.
The majority of people in this country do not vote.....and if a law was brought in to make them vote, would that make politicians better at listening to their constituents? I somehow don't think it would.

The reason many people do not vote is that they feel disaffected with politicians.
Their vote changes nothing so why bother?
This does not mean that they have no opinion.It means that their opinion is not considered by those who they voted for.

Politicians are so far removed from the real lives that their voters live....they might just as well be on another planet.
Everything is down to spin and sound bites, with precious little in the way of discernible action.
They talk the talk, but fail to walk the walk.

I have to believe in what those who want my vote tell me, before I can vote for them.
I vote with my conscience. I think about who I am voting for and consider what they can do to make life better for the common man.....if you can show me this person, I will consider casting my vote for them....until then I will continue to scribble on my ballot paper....none of the above.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web