View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 23:56   #7
Busman747
Always EVIL within us

Re: new windows advice

Some years back, I worked for a kitchen fitting company called "Farouche Cuisine" and spent 5 days in Manchester learning how to "sell" kitchens.
PLEASE REMEMBER THIS!!
The "sell" was designed to last a minimum of 2 1/2 hours and started at the front door!!
As soon as the potential buyer answered the door, I would compliment them on their garden/door/views from the house, anything to get them to say "yes!" This was important and all other questions posed by me in the next 3 hours had to be replied in the same way. YES, YES, YES.!

If the T.V. was on, I would ask for it to be turned off and would casually guide them through the ins and outs of my companies products......I would be quoting almost word for word the manual that I had learnt but to them, I was just an enthusiastic rep!

3 Hours later, I would work out a good price for them! I would have included the price of fitting the kitchen plus a little extra.........

It is imperitive that they sign on the night, NEVER, NEVER DO THIS!!!

I give them the total cost and they are a little taken back..."Don't worry" I say, Finance can be arranged (I get a percentage of that from the finance company) but they are still unsure! I "rework" the figures and deduct the extra that I put on..........They are still daunted by the figure that is larger than they imagined it to be.

Now the crunch! I explain that last month, there was a promotion and kitchens were being fitted free of charge, this could be a saving of up to £1000-00 Can I use your phone??

I phone my manager and ask him if the order can possibly be backdated to get free installation? The manager is telling me jokes down the line as he knows that INSTALLATION IS ALREADY BUILT INTO THE PRICE! I go back to the customer and tell them that as a 1 off, the manager has agreed to waiver the installion costs.......... They go for it, especially as I have all the paperwork at hand and virtually shove it under their noses.

Every trick in the book is used plus a few more! When you have a rep call for double glazing, kitchens or anything else, state early on that you will NOT sign on the night, and that the first price you are given will be the ONLY one that you will consider and you will then be given a fair price to consider at your leisure!

I stayed in that job for three months but eventually, my conscience got the better of me and I left!

"short story"
One day, my manager told all reps that they MUST make a sale even if it means giving a kitcken away! I was given an address in Milton Keynes and confidently drove there with the intention of "selling a kitchen"
The door was opened by a mild mannered lady who explained that she had recently seperated from her husband and could not afford a new kitchen but had agreed under pressure from our telephone people to make an appointment!!

Asking what she would ideally want, she told me that if that wall could be knocked down and several cudboards and things like intergrated dish washers were fitted, it would be ideal......I came up with a price of around £5000-00......no way!

Using my taught procedures, I reduced my price several times...but still no joy! In desperation, I eventually came to the price of just £500-00!!!!!!! for taking out a load bearing wall and fitting a brand new kitchen with dish washer. She freaked out completely and chucked me out! This is what made me leave the job, but I often wonder, IF she had signed on the dotted line, Would she have got her kitchen for £500-00? I think she would have.!

The moral of this story is that you should consider in your own mind before a rep arrives what you are willing to pay, ALWAYS get a second quote, and NEVER sign on the night!!

(IF you are invited to the "office" to sign, you give away your right to cancel as from the time you sign!)

Hope this helps those who "invite" reps to their home

Last edited by Busman747; 02-02-2005 at 23:59.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote