View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 07:30   #10
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: new windows advice

I once made the mistake of inviting someone into the house because he had "a letter of authority from the police" and even said we could phone the police station to check up on this. He was selling burglar alarms but his explanantion for visiting was to check how secure our property was and offer advice. This opening line accompanied by a piece of paper with a police logo at the top was what got him into the house.

Once inside we just couldn't get rid of him so I know exactly what you mean Lettie. It wasn't long before he was telling us that we needed a burglar alarm, which we didn't have in those days, and how the one they recommended (that translates to "the one we sell") was the best on the market and he could do a special deal for us if we let him order it.

At the time we had a rather large and loud dog so we even suggested that we had our own canine burglar alarm and had no need of any other and he came out with tales of how the burglars aim ear splitting devices at dogs through windows and how these burst the dogs brains. According to him we obviously didn't care about the welfare of our pet if we were prepared to let that happen.

It got so ridiculous in the end that it was turned midnight and he had morphed into some sort of Billy Graham clone insisting that we get down on our knees on the hearth rug and pray for guidance to purchase his blessed burglar alarm!

When we finally managed to chuck him out we did follow up the "police approval" and found that the firm had indeed consulted the local constabulary and had been given the go-ahead to visit people door to door in a bid to cut down on burglaries in the area but the police had no idea the lengths to which they were going to get people to buy their products. They promised to "have words" but I don't know if anything was done.

We subsequently had an alarm installed which was much cheaper and did exactly the same job but the daft dog used to set it off himself by jumping up at it! (We no longer have the dog but still have the alarm)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote