View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 17:30   #19
Eric
God Member

Re: Do you wear one and if so why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I'm sure most of you are aware it's that time of year again when folk are wearing poppies.
The 11 November marks Armistice Day, ending the First World War.
This day and Remembrance Day (the nearest Sunday to 11 November) is reserved as a day of respect and reflection for those who have served (and those who continue to serve) in the Armed Forces.
The traditional symbol of this day is the 'red' poppy, I think it's suppose to represent the carpet of poppies that grew amongst the churned earth of No man’s land.

You may ask yourself 'who wouldn’t support such a selfless cause?'.....

..Well i personally associate the poppy with war and bloodshed and think it's a shame that a charity has to support our troops when clearly it should be the MOD.Therefore I feel uncomfortable wearing one
I'm sure we all appreciate the classic comics history lesson ... as if most of us have been meandering thro' life blissfully unaware of armistices, world wars, and poppies.

And thanx for letting us know how you interpret the symbolism of poppies. And if you are uncomfortable wearing one, try not sticking yourself with the pin.

Maybe one could consider that there is no contradiction, nothing illogical about supporting the troops past and present, and being opposed to war.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote