View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 15:17   #45
DtheP47
I am Banned

Re: BT Home hub problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Powerline adapters are evil things and create a lot of RF interference between about 25Mhz and 30Mhz. The mains wiring in your house becomes great big aerial all over your house transmitting nasty RF noise. Most fail the EU EMC standards but the manufacturers get away with it because of how they test them
As long as I can get my weekly fix of "Hell on Wheels" "Ray Donovan" and be ahead of the UK for episodes of "Homeland" on my unlocked Amazon Fire TV box Neil, I don't think I am gonna wory about any SW radio hams in my neighbourhood. I remember back in the day when CB radio caused all sorts of havoc with TV's back in their hey day.

Powerline HomePlug Adapters - The Pros and Cons

The Problem with Powerline Adapters?

There is one inherent problem with Powerline adapters, and that's that they can cause interference to short wave radio reception.
HomePlug adapters are often referred to as PLT (Power Line Telecommunication) devices, and shortwave radio enthusiasts claim that they can effectively turns your home into a low-powered transmitter, as your home's mains cabling radiates a low-power "noise" in the band used by short wave radio (2Mhz to 30Mhz).
If you're using a Powerline adapter and you have a radio amateur living two or three doors away, you may be broadcasting noise on a frequency he's using for his hobby. The interference can radiate out around 100 metres. There's also evidence that Powerline adapters can cause interference to FM and DAB radio reception.
Shortwave is also used by some long-range aircraft and shipping, and many still use SW radio to listen to broadcasts from other countries, sometimes using a radio system called Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM), which is in use in parts of Europe, notably Germany.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote