View Single Post
Old 15-11-2014, 15:28   #36
egg&chips

Re: Jihadist returning from Syria.

I'm not sure of the logistics of Cameron's proposals, or of its effectiveness. For instance, suppose the perpetrators of a terrorist attack in the UK had come from another country and had been apprehended. After serving whatever sentence they were given, what if their own state refused to take them back? I certainly wouldn't want to keep them here.
Perhaps a detention camp -one that adheres to some internationally acknowledged legal system, unlike Guantanamo did- would be an option for proven insurgents involved in foreign struggles? Then again I suspect that certain governments would have used such facilities to house returning International Brigade members in the 30's.
I think that the proposal of this measure is almost totally an attempt to fool the gullible into thinking that the current government are being proactive in this area. It is getting closer to election time after all.
This is coming from the same mob who withdrew funding from existing PREVENT strategies here in Leeds and probably many other strategies immediately after being elected. Root and branch monitoring of suspected and known extremist mosque and madrasah preachers and legal action being taken against ALL hate crime proponents would, I feel, be more effective in the long term, even if it would be somewhat more costly in the short run.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote