View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 12:50   #1
Tealeaf
God Member

Brain washing the kids

From todays Evening Telegraph:

Walking in shoes of refugees

SCHOOL pupils in Blackburn and Darwen put themselves in the shoes of refugees and asylum seekers to learn more about their plight.

Throughout February, Year 8 pupils from local high schools are taking part in the Escape to Safety project, developed by Lancaster-based charity Global Link.

The exhibition takes the form of a multi-coloured trailer, divided into seven zones. Each zone marks the various steps someone fleeing their country would have to endure in a bid to secure a new life.

Pupils boarding the trailer are given headsets to listen to accounts of genuine asylum seekers. Footage of detained refugees is also played on monitors, and relevant newspaper headlines adorn the trailer's interior.

It is part of the citizenship curriculum, which gives pupils an understanding of society's legal and human rights responsibilities, diversity and the need for mutual respect and acceptance

The trailer visited Beardwood High School and its pupils said the journey into the unknown was a rewarding one.

Adam Creedon, 12, from Mill Hill, Blackburn, said: "As I walked through the zones it felt as if I was actually there. I wouldn't like to go through what they have to."

Haider Hussain, 13, from Holland Street, Blackburn, said: "It showed me that not all people are as fortunate as those living in this country. It felt like going on a journey and I would not like to be put in the position they are.

"I think there shouldn't be a limit on people coming into this country as I have learned how valuable life is."

Nourjahan Booth, 12, from Foxhouse Street, agreed.

She said: "I think asylum seekers should be allowed here in any number as we would not like it if we had to go through their experiences."

Other schools taking part are Darwen Moorland, Darwen Vale, Witton Park Business and Enterprise College, Our Lady and St John Catholic Arts College, and St Bede's RC High School, along with pupils from Newfield and Crosshills special schools.

In March, around ten pupils from each school will take part in a mock Earth Summit.

The event, organised by Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council and the charities Global Education Preston and Global Links Lancaster, will be held at Jan's Conference Centre. International groups. such as Amnesty International, will be invited to take part.

Well, I always though kids were sent to school to learn their reading, writing and arithmetic.....instead, their heads are filled with this garbage. I really don't want to waste time commenting further on this, but surely the powers that be within this education authority must realise there are greater priorites than this?

It'll be coming to Accy next......
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web