View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 19:32   #162
rob

Re: Stanley Fund Raising

Wasn't a fan of the idea at all when I first heard about it, and still not a fan of it now. Not at all. But I am happy that it raised the £5k - the club always needs the money.

I do think though that we can take some positives from our very negative reaction.

Maybe it is a British thing, while we are happy on the whole to poke fun at ourselves, and can cope with people doing so to us, we are very protective of things we love and care about.

You really can call me all the names under the sun - some people do - you can laugh at me and poke fun at me, and I will let it go over my head and chuckle at your attempts to get me to bite. But if you try to take the **** out of something I love and care deeply about – a family member, a good friend, or ineed my football club – I will react.

We even do it ourselves, to one another we call our small ground that is falling apart in places, the 'tinpot' quirks we know and love, and the way we have to all dig in to get things done. Yet if someone from another club dares to make a disparaging remark about our stadium, then they will get a reaction!

I think our true supporters could see what was going to happen – barrage of abuse from rival clubs – and reacted accordingly.

Perhaps we should all have been more worried if we hadn’t cared about our club being ridiculed – albeit only by a section of people, appreciate it got some good publicity too – if nobody had got upset about it then it would have indicated nobody cares?

Just my thoughts – now who do we play in the next round and is it on the television?

On Stanley On,

Rob
rob is offline   Reply With Quote