View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 21:41   #7
Restless
Senior Member+

Re: Buy British - Elite Dangerous

Thanks for the negative karma and just writing "T" for the above comment I made. "T" really was intuitive and I have learned SO MUCH from your anonymous contribution

I hope it made you feel better. However I would just like to point out that I don't care all that much about karma as you do, you wasted your pathetic energy with your pathetic attempt to bother me.

Lenslok™ is a copy protection mechanism found in some computer games and other software on the 8-bit Atari computers, Commodore 64, Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Sinclair QL, MSX and Amstrad CPC. The most famous game to use it was Elite for the ZX Spectrum.

The Lenslok device was essentially a row of prisms arranged vertically in a plastic holder. Before the game started, a two-letter code was displayed on the screen, but it was corrupted by being split into vertical bands which were then rearranged on screen. By viewing these bands through the Lenslok they were restored to their correct order and the code could be read and entered allowing access to the game. The device was small enough when folded flat to fit next to an audio cassette in a standard case.

In order for the Lenslok to work correctly the displayed image has to be the correct size. This meant that before each use the software needed to be calibrated to take account of the size of the display. Users found this setup particularly annoying, at least in part due to the poor instructions that were initially shipped. Additionally, the device could not be calibrated at all for very large and very small televisions, and some games shipped with mismatched Lensloks that prevented the code from being correctly descrambled. The Lenslok system was not used in later releases of Elite.

Software that used the Lenslok system:

Elite, released by Firebird
OCP Art Studio, released by Rainbird
Fighter Pilot, released by Digital Integration
Tomahawk, released by Digital Integration
TT Racer, released by Digital Integration
Jewels of Darkness, released by Level 9 Computing
The Price of Magik, released by Level 9 Computing
Silicon Dreams, released by Level 9 Computing
ACE, released by Cascade Games Ltd
Graphic Adventure Creator, released by Incentive Software
Moon Cresta, released by Incentive Software