View Single Post
Old 17-01-2015, 20:07   #26
football19
Senior Member+

Re: Team for Tranmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyAccrington View Post
The selection of the full-backs was wrong for me and it had a big impact on the game.

If sufficient preparation had been done, you would see that Tranmere have a quick player on their right hand side so why would you even think of putting Conneely in there as opposed to Liddle? Oh, it's Coley playing favourites again and the same in picking Winnard over Hunt at right back.

It seems that Winnard is undroppable and it's to the detriment of the team that this is the case because he, too, was unable to cope with Tranmere's offensive threat and got beat too easily for the second goal.

On another day, it could have been a closer game. I can think of five clear opportunities:
Maguire should score when he seizes on an underhit backpass just before half-time
McCartan should have had a penalty but it was given as a free-kick on the edge of the area
Naismith should score when he's got a six yard radius of space in the area from a free-kick and is essentially one-on-one with the keeper
Maguire's somehow hit the defender on the line 3 yards out with almost all of the goal to aim at
McCartan hits the post from range late on

It's not as if it was a toothless performance, but some serious questions need to be asked about the defensive selection.
Interesting comments Stanley.
If you watch the highlights tonight on the football league show you will see it was Naismith who didn't track his man for the second goal.
The first goal Donnelly got across Tom with great movement.
I presume you think the problem was the fullbacks not the who's job is to defend crosses?,fair enough,everyone has an opinion.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote