View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 11:39   #90
Jeg Red

Re: Northampton Town (H) Match Thread

I'm so disappointed after yesterday. We're in a worrying rut that cool heads and togetherness will resolve, but that needs to start and I've not seen signs it is doing.

Aside from the goalkeeping, which I'll come to in a minute, the two most worrying aspects for me yesterday were the lack of cohesion and team spirit amongst the group and the inability to manage the game once they'd gone down to 10. We didn't show any fighter appetite for the game and were handed a lifeline with the penalty and the sending off. With additional time added on in each half we'd 57 minutes to play against 10 men, and simply didn't show any game management for this situation. We did ok for the first 10 minute or so in the 2nd half, but got sloppy and then got punished. We should have moved the ball quicker and made them work hard off the ball and chances would have come.

Coleman appears erratic to me at the moment and I'm not seeing any consistency in what he says and what he does. He blamed individual players on Tuesday, whereas yesterday put himself up as the fall guy. A a week or so ago, we didn't need to add to the squad, now we need fundamental changes.

We'll never know whether the public comments he made towards Macey affected his confidence, but I've not been convinced with him in any of the games he's played and I'd put 4 goals yesterday to him. He's young and on a learning curve, but for his sake and that of the team, he needs to be taken out of the firing line as he's not yet up to it. On Tuesday night, Coleman said that Gray's style didn't fit into the style of the team, yet he turns to him yesterday to rescue something up front.

We're crying out for someone up front who can hold the ball up, bring others into the play and also stop it coming straight back and give the defence precious seconds to reset. Maguire shows touches of being neat and tidy, but maybe needs someone to play alongside to bring the best from him. With the current group and on current form, he doesn't deserve to start.

I feel some of trust between players and management has gone and look to the management team to work quickly to get it back. The heart and some of the threat seems to have gone from the team since O'Sullivan returned to Blackburn.

Am looking to Coleman to sort it out, but he needs a plan and right now, I'm afraid to me it doesn't look like he's got one.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote