View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 07:51   #47
shakermaker
God Member

Re: Official accrington stanley supporters club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
But as you will see Shaker , as soon as I opened that page it must be the most uninteresting website page you could possibly see! A new website needs to be professional as well as enticing!

What the osc needs is a website that has daily Stanley news on , a website where you can sign up and pay your membership for the supporters club, a place where you can order a supporters club scarf or badge. Another idea is to try and branch out to businesses to also sign up to osc. Why not have a weekly email to each OSC member giving you all the news from the week , prices , fixtures, offers, memorabilia in the club shop, events and a thank you for being a member.

They need a good and modern Facebook and Twitter account to mass out to the millions already on there!

Why not create a smart phone app ? Giving you the fixtures , latest news from the official website , news from the osc , videos from the player interviews and links to the goals from fixtures etc. It takes time but it's easily done.

There's so many ideas but like you say, Rome wasn't built in a day.....
I get where you're coming from mate, I do, but in my professional opinion (I run the website and social accounts for a large organisation which supports smaller subsidiaries) as well as in my personal capacity as a Stanley fan, I'd strongly advise against creating a new site for the OSC.

The amount of interactive features you're talking about is great, however it is highly demanding on content production. The OSC would have to guarantee that it would produce enough ongoing content to gain support on a separate site - otherwise it would go unnoticed as far as search results are concerned.

You also talk about an app - these, as a general rule of thumb, are either a) very expensive to build and maintain, or b) cheap and full of ads. The most successful apps that are not games are ones that are transactional, giving people the ability to perform multiple functions in one place. If the app only has one function (becoming a member), people will not download it. Apps are quickly becoming a thing of the past for small businesses for these reasons, but also because mobile browsers are becoming much better at rendering websites. Why pay for an app when your website does everything and the take up on the app isn't that great anyway?

In my opinion the pros of dovetailing on the ASFC official website far outweigh the cons for two main reasons:
  • Whenever ASFC publish a link to a news story via their social feeds, or whenever a person is browsing that site, there's a good chance they'll follow a link to the OSC to become a member. You already have an audience here; you wouldn't need to build one.
  • You would have no hosting, domain or support costs (if the club was being super stingy they would ask you to share a portion of their costs, but this shouldn't be anywhere near what you'd pay for a new site).
Creating new social feeds would be perfect. They're free, you have the benefit of making people admins who regularly use social media, and you can use them to link to content on the official website. You wouldn't need to procure half the amount of content you would for a website.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote