View Single Post
Old 22-02-2015, 09:47   #2
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Where is Hyndburn going?

You are right about the countryside, you are right about the heritage of the town, but there is no denying that the town is in something of a rut.
It isn't talking down the town to tell the truth about it...in fact doing anything else is blatantly dishonest.
People will not come to Accrington(and it is Accrington - not Hyndburn) to take in the green spaces.(most towns have their own green spaces)
They will not come because the people are multiracial and get on well together.

The buildings you talk of, must include the Market hall...but that is nothing without the commercial enterprise which is needed to fill it with people...and that isn't happening.
We won't talk of the monstrosity that is the council offices on Broadway (improved somewhat now it is covered by the Pals banner).
We won't mention the air of dereliction along Blackburn Road...a main route into the town.
Yes we have a fine Town Hall...and if you want a bit of a hike we have the fine building that is Haworth Art Gallery.......but that is the sum total of the fine buildings and personally I wouldn't travel any distance to see any of them.

People used to come to Accrington from other local towns...they came for a bustling market, for the market hall, for the shops.
I know that shopping habits and trends have meant that this is less likely to happen.

You carry on seeing the place through your rose tinted glasses if that makes you happy...but I think that Accrington is too far gone to be resurrected with any success.

Other towns, we are told, are in a similar situation, but yet selling points, attractions are found and their appeal is maximised....this is not happening in our town.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 22-02-2015 at 09:50.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote