View Single Post
Old 22-02-2015, 11:03   #4
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Where is Hyndburn going?

Well whatever it is....it isn't really a true perspective.
I have been lucky enough to live in the town when it was a great place to be...and maybe that is why I can see the town the way I do.Those growing up here now know no different so they will see the place far differently.
I can remember when the market was thronged with people.....when folk came from Blackburn, Burnley and Darwen purely to shop on the great market.....with Uncle Dick calling his pitches......with Ray Lyndon and everything half a crown...yes that dates me doesn't it.
I can remember when the Carnival in the town would bring the place to a standstill....I can remember the Easter Fair, the pot fair....these were all things that used to draw people into the town.
A sad, half empty Market Hall, a threadbare Market, an Arndale that has as many empty outlets as occupied ones(or nearly), a town centre with fake shops(you know...those that are empty, but made to look like they are occupied by putting a picture over the windows) doesn't make for an interesting or welcoming town.
It all contributes to a very 'down at heel' sort of feeling.....not something you would travel to...but with a shiny new bus station in the offing, might want to escape from.
Taking money away from the local economy and into some other towns coffers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote