Thread: Stanley v York.
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2015, 12:34   #45
deeayess

Re: Stanley v York.

There are probably many reasons for the drop in attendances. The fixtures still clash with the Blackburn ones even though Blackburn are no longer in the Premiership however Burnley are away and in the Premiership. This means that Burnley fans can "watch" the away games online via many of the dodgy streams for 3 pm kick offs. Anecdotal evidence suggests this as I heard a couple of Burnley fans saying that yesterday in the pub.

Midweek games are going against Blackburn home games and live champions league games on ITV. Given the choice most "neutrals" would probably rather watch TV champions league games than head to the Crown to watch Accy on a cold, wet and windy night especially given the Spartan facilities at the ground.

We have to stop convincing ourselves that our name alone will attract people. Some people I have met on my travels didn't even know we were a real team. We have been in the league for 9 seasons now and probably have the longest continuous spell in Leage 2 at the moment as everybody else has either been promoted or relegated. A visit to the crown ground is no longer the novelty it once was for away fans or ground hoppers. If we had played Man Utd then that might have sparked some interest locally but it wasn't to be.

This is probably the first time ever our games are almost meaningless now. We won't challenge for the playoffs and we look safe from relegation, although there is a very outside chance we could get dragged back into it but I doubt it. Meaningless games can lead to poor performances since the results don't appear to matter too much. The way we have been playing recently I might have had second thoughts about Friday if I hadn't booked my day off, train ticket and had a flexiticket. I will be there but I'm not a neutral though and if I had watched most of our recent games as a neutral it would probably have been different.

It's easy to blame the price when the football is poor, the weather is bad and there is something better on TV in the pub. It's easier to say I'm not paying that to watch it when you really mean you can't be bothered. The only magic formula to attract the crowds back is to win games and play exciting football. At the moment we are struggling to do either.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote