View Single Post
Old 25-03-2015, 07:19   #14
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: What makes a good/bad forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
If folk think that I'm referring to Accyweb with my question,I'm not,I enjoy it here (sometimes)

I guess a forum is only as good as those folk who moderate and pay for it.
Optional extras (for me) would be a good community spirit,a decent array of topics,a good level of tolerance by moderators... and of 'all' folks opinions and ideas (freedom to use explicit language niw and again wouldn't go a miss) they're just some of the things that make for a good forum in my eyes.

While the things that make for a bad forum imo are members with God complexes,over moderation,no diversity in topics,personal attacks on members.

I'm not sure how to draw the crowd as the saying goes,a good range of topics and relatively quick responses? I don't know
In this post you imply that Accyweb is lacking in community spirit....that perhaps the moderators are too rigid......you want to be able to use 'explicit' language.(whatever that phrase means.....I use explicit language. To me this means saying what you mean and not hiding your intent behind facetious questions).
The diversity of topics is generally down to those who come on the forum.....so if you want a post on a particular topic, then post one.
Posting is free.(there are many people who come on here and use the 'free services' without any thought of the cost in both time and money, of keeping the place ticking over - while some enjoy the place enough to make a contribution......however small and seemingly insignificant, it keeps the place going)
When talking of personal attacks on members, there is a protocol for dealing with this, but to be honest, the best way to deal with these is to ignore them( unless of course they contain physical threats).
If you have a gripe about Accyweb Jason, then come out honestly and say what it is.....don't hide your grudges behind a question that you really know the answer too....or don't care what the answer is.

Now, if you think I am being harsh, I'm just being honest, clear and truthful.
I try very hard to be moderate in my views.....and in my postings.
There is less wrong with Accyweb than you think.
Need something and I think that you will find there are some very 'giving' members. If that isn't community spirit the. You will have to clarify what it is for me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote