View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 03:19   #8
CherylSyd
Junior Member+

Re: Family history in Accrington

Hi there, does anyone have any knowledge of a ROBERT METCALFE who was recorded as living in BUSK, Oswaldtwistle in January 1855? The birth of my great, great grandfather, JOHN JAMES HARDACRE occurred in Busk, Oswaldtwistle (mother MARIA HARDACRE) at this time. The "occupier" of the residence on the birth certificate is listed as ROBERT METCALFE at Busk. My suspicions are that this place was temporarily rented as it it seems Maria was pregnant to a member of the aristocracy in Yorkshire and this Robert could have been an employee of this aristocrat who was sent with her to register the birth in another county. (Such a wonderful mystery! I am an author so all of this really stirs the creative juices!) Thank you to anyone who may have knowledge of this Robert…and could anyone tell me exactly where the BUSK area of Oswaldtwistle was in 1855. From my research it appears to be close to the Straits and Union Street, near Tinker Brook, and I do believe there is an old map showing it but I cannot trace this map online. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated … many thanks from Sydney, Australia. Cheryl
CherylSyd is offline   Reply With Quote