View Single Post
Old 27-04-2015, 07:47   #11043
Morecambe Ex Pat
Full Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Sunday 26th April.
A beautiful sunny day and an opportunity to take part in a unique walking event, The Welly Walk.
The event was held to raise money for St. John's Hospice in Morecambe and offered over 1000 people the opportunity to walk the 4km route of the, under construction, M6 to Heysham link road.
I did take my wellies but they were not needed as most of the ground was firm and dry

I have viewed the site from the outside on numerous occasions and the opportunity to walk the route could not be passed up. Starting from the car park of Lancaster & Morecambe College, this big headed builder was entertaining the children and some of the adults, while we waited our turn to set off.

These are the support pillars which will eventually support the bridge over Torrisholme Road.

This construction is the bridge over the West Coast Main Line and the area where I am standing will eventually be in-filled to the height of the structure, forming a high banking.

This is the previous construction viewed from the side and the train came along at just the right moment. We were informed that 40,000 tonnes of concrete had been poured into it so far.

This arched bridge, over the canal, is the longest spanned, pre-cast arch bridge in the world. and will form part of a winged wall when finished. It is also the shortest tunnel on the Lancaster Canal

This is the cutting under Kellet Lane, which is a back road into Lancaster from the North. This impressive cutting has meant removing millions of tonnes of earth and transporting it further down the construction site.

This is the crane which will lift the bridge sections for the new crossing of the River Lune.

This is the site of Costain's nerve centre, by the side of but high above the River Lune and the end of the official walk.
The rusty beam in the foreground is one of the bridge sections already in place.
The arched bridge in the centre will have been crossed by many of you but you just wouldn't realise it. It carries the M6 over the River Lune, next to junction 34.
In the background is Caton Moor Wind Farm which is one of my favourite local walks.
The walk was very enjoyable and ended with a cup of tea and a chocolate chip muffin. As it was such a lovely day I declined the opportunity to go back to the college by bus and chose instead to walk back and make it a 7 mile walk.

The canal wildlife were building nests.

While others were messing about in boats.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell

Last edited by Morecambe Ex Pat; 27-04-2015 at 07:54.
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote