View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 16:52   #112
landhusweg

Re: Woodnook St Mary's

Hi There,
I mentioned one person (Bert Binna) on the above photo. A funny thing occurred some years back.
I was in my local restaurant in Stein am Rhein Switzerland, when some English guys came into the pub taking a table at the back, and starting to discuss a certain matter. They then called over the owner who couldn’t speak any English whatsoever. She then brought one of the guys over to my table, who asked the following:
“Which is the fastest way home by plane, from where we were at that moment” This he asked me in a broad Lancashire accent. I asked if he was from anywhere near Blackburn and he replied Oswaldtwistle! At that moment I looked at one of the guys around the table that they were occupying, and asked if that was Bert Binns, he replied yes, that is Herbert Binns, whom he called over. I then told Bert who I was and that we went to school together. This didn’t register with him at this moment. I then carried on and told where he lived in Accrington, and what his sister was called etc. He then slowly looked at me like I was a ghost!
It was a shame that they had to leave in order to catch a train, but we did have a bit of a conversation, realizing that we hadn’t seen one another for over thirty years or so.
It would seem they were working on a contract job just over the border in Germany, and one of the team’s wife was very ill back in the UK, hence the question of the fastest flying way home, whether from Stuttgart or Zurich.

All in all a very small world!

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote