View Single Post
Old 30-06-2015, 22:12   #52
Barrie Yates
Senior Member+

Re: New pub opening .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
It wasn't the only one experience Barry.
Three years ago I was tempted to try out Weatherspoons on Southport's Lord street.
My late wife and me found one door partially blocked by two folding baby carriages and almost behind the other door were two youngsters, not fully trained in the simple art of walking, shuffling around the floor squealing joyfully.
Two females ( who I assume were the children's mothers)with Liverpool accents were having a heated discussion using language I last hear by dockers when I was pumping oil on to a ship.
We did a smart about turn and went to a small cafe at the very end of Lord street frequented by a lot of the local people who work in the area. The food was cooked fresh within sight by the owner and the atmosphere was very pleasant with friendly chit chat between the customers.
The Weatherspoons and similar establishments seem to do a roaring trade so must be catering for the mass's. If only the Calder would build a smoking den out of sight it would look more appealing.
Haven't tried that one G. We use a restaurant on Lord St that serves gluten free meals - can't remember the name. Have tried the Calder for breakfast on a Thursday morning - twice, couldn't believe how bad it was the first time, the second time confirmed my first impression.